7.14.2010

Mind is racing, body is exhausted.

My mind is shot. It's going a billion different directions. I just recently broke up with a best friend, and now we're not on speaking terms, and it hurts. It hurts bad still. I tried dating someone else, someone really great, but God kept telling me I needed some time to myself. So I made this pact... to be single for eight months. And some people tonight told me I was crazy for that. Which I understand. Other people have laughed at me and told me I could never do it. They lost some 'cool points', as a good friend says- one, by laughing and underestimating my stubborn mind, and two, by not supporting me in it.

Then I realized, I'm right. I'm totally right. Just not about the whole eight months thing. The people I talked to tonight told me that as long as you're in a healthy relationship, it will be a learning experience. But I'm not taking these eight months to find what I want in a relationship. I'm taking the eight months (or however long it takes, whether it be longer or shorter) to find out who I am and what I want, not from a relationship, but from life and from and in God. So no, I don't think it's stupid to 'kiss dating goodbye' entirely. Now, I'm not saying the people I talked to tonight were wrong. :) They were totally right too. A healthy relationship can lead to learning and growing in Christ.. but I don't think I need a romantic relationship to do that. I need to first grow disciplined with myself and God and my community of faith and God before I grow disciplined with a romantic relationship in God.

I don't know. As I said, my thoughts are going a crazy million different directions at the moment.
Thoughts, please?

1 comment:

  1. If people think you're crazy for wanting to go 8 months without dating, they'd probably want to send me to an insanity ward when I said I'd never dated. :)

    But shame on the people who said you can't do it...they obviously don't realize that once you have your mind set to do something, you'll do it. Like you said, you have a stubborn mind...haha.

    You're right though, a healthy relationship can definitely lead both people into a deeper relationship with Christ, but at the same time, both need to have a strong relationships with Christ before a healthy romantic relationship can occur. Anyways, I think what you're doing is a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete